The Prevention and Safety Service in the Workplace (S.Pre.S.A.L.) protects the health and safety of workers in the workplace through control and surveillance actions and promotion and assistance actions aimed at workers and prevention company figures.
Areas of activity
Compliance with regulations and containment of irregular components
- scheduled supervision by the service and upon notification by third parties in work environments characterised by a high risk of injury and diseases of professional origin;
- investigations into accidents and occupational diseases on behalf of the Judicial Authority;
- expression of the opinions of competence in the context of its own authorization procedures or those of other Entities (evaluation of asbestos removal plans, hiring minors and authorizations in derogation, New Production Settlements);
- control of health and risk records;
- sociological surveys in the workplace in cases of organisational discomfort;
- protection of mother workers, foreign workers and disabled workers.
Promotion and health education – training activities
- information, training and assistance addressed to prevention company figures and in particular to the Heads of Prevention and Protection Services (RSPP), Workers’ Safety Representatives (RLS), Competent Doctors, Prevention Consultants, Employers;
- health information and education aimed at the target population (workers, students, farmers, etc.) on prevention in the workplace;
- disclosure of information material;
- safety week (every year in October).
Containment of health risks in the workplace and prevention measures
- targeted plans for the prevention of accidents and occupational diseases;
- ethiopathogenetic, diagnostic and forensic medical assessments on individual workers (issuance of suitability for the conduct of steam generators and for toxic gases, appeals against the judgment of the Competent Physician pursuant to art. 41 of Legislative Decree 81/08, specialist advice on Occupational Medicine and Audiology requested by individual workers, issuance of certificates of suitability for minor entertainment workers, certificates of compulsory postponed abstention for maternity).
Access to performance
The services can be requested through traditional and electronic mail channels or directly from the citizen at the headquarters of the Service.
- Notification of the activation of new production facilities (Legislative Decree 81/08, art. 67): the construction and construction of buildings or premises to be used for industrial processing, extensions and renovations of existing ones, must be notified through the presentation of the building practice at the Single Window of the Municipality where the construction is planned (building permit/SCIA) with the relative NIP card attached;
- Exceptional authorizations (workplaces with minimum heights of less than 3 m. and use of underground rooms): the opinion is expressed following an application by the company, correctly completed;
- Evaluation of plans for the removal of asbestos-containing materials: the plans are presented by the executing companies;
- Maternity – Postponed compulsory abstinence: The visit is carried out, by appointment, at the Pre.S.A.L. Service. The pregnant woman must present a certificate from the gynaecologist (certifying the time of gestation and the presumed date of delivery) and the employer’s declaration regarding the working and/or environmental conditions, which must not be detrimental to the health of the woman and the child;
- Appeal against the suitability judgment of the Company Doctor: the request for a board visit must be submitted on plain paper and within 30 days of receipt of the suitability judgment expressed by the Company Doctor (Article 41 of Legislative Decree 81/08);
- Assessments of diseases and disorders of suspected occupational origin: the individual worker can access the Pre.S.A.L. Service to obtain specialist occupational medicine advice for diagnostic or forensic medical protection purposes;
- Reporting interventions: the report of the presence of risks or situations of non-compliance with the rules for the protection of health and safety in the workplace must be submitted by workers, their representatives (RLS, company or external trade unions) or by individual citizens, in writing, signed and accompanied by an identification document of the reporter. It must also be substantiated and must indicate exactly the place and the risks highlighted. The staff of the Service assesses the adequacy of the report in terms of severity and competence;
- Outpatient activities: certificates are issued following an appointment request;
- Industrial hygiene:
- control of asbestos reclamation plans;
- assessment of the state of conservation of articles containing asbestos;
- analysis for the presence of asbestos in materials and air;
- microclimatic surveys;
- lighting surveys;
- environmental surveys;
- asbestos risk training for employees Public Bodies
- Sociological surveys: sociological surveys in the workplace in cases of organisational discomfort
The Service ensures a careful evaluation of the applications and the documentation submitted and guarantees the provision of services within the limits indicated:
- eligibility visits (direct acceptance and final visit within 7 days of viewing the required assessments);
- the authorization for the execution of the removal plans for materials containing asbestos, both crumbly and compact, takes place within 30 days from the submission of the plans to the Pre.S.A.L. Service;
- the industrial and sociological hygiene surveys are evaluated for taking charge within 10 days of the submission of the application;
- the communication to the employer and the Territorial Directorate of Labour of the assessments on the request for postponed maternity leave is carried out within 5 days of the submission of the application.