The company’s Strategic Management, composed of the General Manager, the Health Director and the Administrative Director, makes use of the Board of Directors and exercises the strategic governance of the Company.
The General Manager
The functions of the General Manager are those provided for by art. 3 of Legislative Decree no. 502 of 30 December 1992 and subsequent amendments and by art. 9 of Regional Law no. 18 of 16 June 1994 and subsequent amendments. Article 8, paragraph 1 of Regional Law no. 6 of 18 February 2002, as amended by Regional Law no. 4 of 28 April 2006, keeps the functions included in the acts of senior administration distinct from the management functions:
- functions reserved exclusively to the General Manager;
- functions that can be delegated, in whole or in part, to the Health or Administrative Directors and to the other Managers of the Company.
The Director General assigns to the Administrative Director, the Health Director, the Presidium, District, Department Directors and the Managers responsible for Complex Structure the functions assigned to them:
- functions delegated by the General Manager with the limits, implications and consequences derived from the Institute of delegation;
- own functions, assigned to them at the time of signing the contract with which the assignment is conferred or by specific act of the General Manager.
The General Manager has the functions of senior administration and the functions of employer, while delegating management functions to various levels of management:
- implementation of collective labour agreements for employees and adoption of personnel management acts;
- exercise of spending powers within the limits of the allocated budget and acquisition of revenues;
- approval of tender documents for work, supply and services, stipulation of contracts.
The General Director uses the Board of Directors as the Body of the Company that contributes to the governance of clinical activities and participates in the planning of the activity, including research, teaching, training programs and organizational solutions for the implementation of intramural free professional activity.
It is an advisory body that expresses itself through the formulation of non-binding opinions for the General Manager. He also participates in the internal evaluation of the results achieved in relation to the set objectives and is compulsorily consulted by the General Manager on all matters relating to the governance of clinical activities.
The regulation will be revised with the changes required by the regional guidelines.
The Board of Directors is chaired by the Director General and consists of:
- the Health Director;
- the Administrative Director;
- department Directors, including intercompany Directors (if any);
- the District Directors;
- the Health Directors of the Hospital;
- the Nursing, Midwifery, Healthcare, Technical, Rehabilitation and Prevention Service Manager (or equivalent professional figure).
In relation to the individual topics covered, there is provision for the participation in the Board itself of managers or professionals who are entrusted with the responsibility of structures or tasks of particular strategic importance.
The Board of Directors meets, as a rule, at least once every three months. The convocation, containing the agenda of the meeting, is sent by email to the members with a notice of seven days (three days in case of urgency).
The documentation regarding the topics to be discussed, as a rule, is made available to the members of the Board at the time of the meeting (at the same time as the meeting, in the case of an urgent meeting).
The agenda of the meetings is prepared by the General Manager, after consulting the Health and Administrative Directors. Half plus one of the members must be present for the Board meetings to be valid. For the decisions of the Board, the criteria are as follows:
- absolute majority (half plus one of the members) for opinion on the three-year Strategic Plan, the Company Deed, the annual training program, research and innovation projects and all acts of programmatic value;
- the simple majority (half plus one of those present in the other cases).
A report of the meetings of the Board is drawn up and sent by email and approved at the next meeting. The status of member of the Board and the related functions fall within the institutional tasks of each subject and, therefore, no remuneration is provided for participation in the meetings and for the activities carried out. The activity of the Board requires the members to comply with the obligation of confidentiality regarding the information obtained and the data processed.
In particular, the company’s Strategic Management is responsible for:
- the identification of annual and multiannual objectives and programmes defined on the basis of the company’s institutional objectives and in line with regional programming and guidelines;
- the company organisation and planning of productivity and quality of performance;
- governance and human resource management, including professional development and training policies;
- resource and investment planning;
- the governance of internal and external relations;
- the guarantee of safety and prevention.
The Health Director and the Administrative Director express an opinion on the acts of the General Director to the extent of their competence and also:
- express an opinion on any matter submitted to them;
- perform the functions and adopt the acts delegated to them and assigned by the General Manager;
- formulate, for the parties concerned, proposals to the Director General, for the purpose of drawing up multiannual plans, annual programmes and activity projects;
- take care, to the extent of their competence, of the implementation of the company’s programmes and plans through the services provided to their employees;
- exercise the spending powers within the scope of the powers received from the General Manager and for the amounts determined by the same;
- determine, by informing the Trade Union Organisations, the general organisational criteria and the services for which they are responsible in the context of the directives received from the General Manager and the Region;
- verify and control the activity of the managers of the services and adopt the consequent measures, also of a substitute nature, referring them to the General Manager, also for the purposes of internal control;
- perform any other functions attributed to them by laws and regulations.
The Health Director
The Health Director is appointed, according to the specific requirements of art. 3 paragraph 7 of Legislative Decree no. 502/92 and subsequent amendments, and art. 15 of Regional Law no. 18/94 and subsequent amendments, by the General Director.
The Health Director directs health services for organizational and hygienic-health purposes and provides mandatory advice to the General Manager on acts relating to matters of competence; ensures operational continuity with the structures with professionals, through their unitary coordination and the development of organizational methodologies aimed at achieving the taking charge of users-patients and continuity of care.
The Health Director, in order to develop clinical governance and promote knowledge and use of the tools that are his own, makes use of the Committees, Commissions and Working Groups provided for by current regulations.
The Health Director chairs the Healthcare Council.
The Administrative Director
The Administrative Director is appointed, according to the specific requirements of art. 3 paragraph 7 of Legislative Decree no. 502/92 and subsequent amendments, and art. 15 of Regional Law no. 18/94 and subsequent amendments, by the General Director.
The Administrative Director directs the administrative services of the Company in accordance with the general programming guidelines and the provisions of the General Manager, ensures the correctness, completeness and transparency of the processes of formation of the documents representing the economic, financial and asset dynamics, the legitimacy of the acts and the correct performance of the technical, administrative and logistical support functions. It defines the operational guidelines of the structures assigned to the economic and financial corporate governance and guarantees, from an administrative point of view, the development and implementation of the networks that preside over the IT system to support the management activities of the different levels of corporate governance and promotes specific programmes for the training of administrative staff.